Team Challenges: General Guidelines
Please note that a group of three students form a team and work together to achieve all the tasks. Everyone in the team must participate in all four challenges. Students from different schools and/or countries may get together to form a team.
- All submissions must be finished by the given deadline.
- The categories below are open for teams of three students; however, single or two-member participants may find students on their own or with the help of the TIC team.
- The teams participate in all four events as a team but their individual performances are of great importance in all events.
- Both individual and team scores are significant for the final consideration of rankings.
- All judgments are final and interpretations of the guidelines are at TIC’s sole discretion and they are not subject to change upon complaints.
- In case of a tie at the end of the competition, the younger participants win.
- TIC reserves the right to publish event photos without compensation for educational and promotional purposes, including, but not limited to publication on its websites, in brochures or for future contest promotion.
The quiz with a subject focus! Each student chooses their favorite subject at registration and gets 80% of the questions from that selected subject in this thrilling quiz; the other 20% of the questions come from the Common Ground. The questions may have multiple sentences and will contain clues as well as misdirections. Participants are encouraged to start exploring the recommended resources so that they can demonstrate their individual knowledge!
- Each team member goes to a different room to take the test.
- All students will take a multiple choice test based on their favourite subject and the common ground.
- 80% of the questions will come from your focused subject and 20% of the questions from the common ground.
- You will choose your favourite subject while registering for TIC.
- You may not receive help from anyone during this challenge.
- Team scores are calculated by adding the scores of all team members.
- In this category, answering the most questions right is not enough to score most. You may answer fewer questions but collect more points. If you have answered more questions that others haven’t been able to get right, you’ll get more points!
Pen Down Challenge
Think, brainstorm and debate with your teammates to prepare the best essay possible!! Each member must ‘pen down’ his/her thoughts in a different essay. You will need to brainstorm and communicate as a team to achieve a coherent, accurate and convincing piece of writing!
During the Pen Down Challenge
- Three writing topics are offered and each member picks a different topic.
- You will have 30 minutes to brainstorm and organize your ideas and then you are given four new pages.
- Each member needs to ‘pen down’ an essay in 45 minutes, without using the internet, textbooks or any other informational materials.
- At the end of the allotted time, you submit your essay to the proctors.
- Plagiarism is strictly forbidden and individuals/teams found to have plagiarised will be disqualified; they will receive no points for this challenge.
- You may not quit the challenge or turn in your essays earlier or later than the allotted time.
- During the challenge, leaving the Pen Down Challenge area is not permitted; in exceptional circumstances or in the case of emergency, speak to a member of staff.
- Each member will only have 4 pages in total, on which to write everything.
- Please write as clearly and legibly as possible.
- Overall Impression
An intense speaking contest!!! 10 topics announced below will be your prompts. You need to take both pros and cons into consideration while getting ready for the stage as you’ll be required to defend either the negative or the positive side of the argument as a team.
TIC 2019 Speech-Craft Challenge Topics
TIC 2018 Speech-Craft Challenge Topics
- Schools empower creativity.
- Degrees are necessary for being successful.
- One’s success is measured by money.
- No great success can be achieved alone.
- The end justifies the means.
- We learn more from failure than success.
- Every student should take a performing art class.
- Social media contributes to genuine friendships.
- You can have a happy family life and a successful career at the same time.
- Intelligence is more important than hard work on the way to success.
- Each team member will speak in front of a team of judges to demonstrate his/her persuasive speaking skills.
- Two teams will be assigned the positive and negative sides of the same topic at the same time.
- Students, as a team, will get the assigned topics 30 minutes before the challenge starts.
- Speeches shall not be less than a minute and not more than three minutes in length; you may use cue cards, props, notes and papers if you wish.
- Each team member speaks about the topic given beforehand. Thus, teams cannot change their order of speaking.
- You need to use your time and words wisely; it’s not about talking for a long time but talking to convince the audience and judges!
Content (50 points): Speech Development, Effectiveness, Speech Value
Delivery (30 points): Physical, Voice, Manner
Language (20 points): Appropriateness, Correctness
Team Spirit Challenge
Working together is key in this multiple choice team challenge!! All teams take this challenge together in the main hall. You may earn more points by answering multiple-choice questions quickly, answering questions with higher points, risking harder questions for more points and getting the answers right. Making mistakes is all part of the learning experience, don’t worry, just enjoy the experience!
- The questions vary in their difficulty and number of points.
- You may need to connect topics and find the correct answer.
- The questions are answered as a team by clicking on your chosen option.
- Each question gets more and more challenging; this is the most mind-blowing part of the whole experience!
- Team spirit is crucial. You are competing against the clock to click on the correct answer before time runs out!